Universum Film AG (UFA), the longest standing film studio in Germany, began in 1917 as the producer of propaganda and public service films. The release of Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920) signalled a dramatic change of direction, and in the years that followed, up to the end of World War II, a number of innovative, expressionist films were shot, along with traditional romances and adventure stories. Director F. W. Murnau filmed at UFA, as did Fritz Lang before the war compelled him to move westward, first to Paris, then to Hollywood.
Here is a brief look at the one sheets of UFA’s early days.
Die Nibelungen (1924)
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)
Dr. Mabuse (1922)
Seig im Westen (1941)
Frau im Mond (1929)
Madame Dubarry (1919)